Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tea Time

My BFF just left my house. It had been so long since she had come to visit. It was great sharing some conversation and a cup of tea with her. Too bad the discussion was littered with our work woes, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s good that women have “girlfriends” to lean on when things go a little awry in our lives, without that heartfelt companionship, where would we be? Anyway…after she left, I went back to my desk and sat down to write for a bit. Suddenly, I got up, went to the pantry, looked around and - Yeah, you got it...I forgot what I was going to do! Forgetting what I got up expressly to do—that's something my mother used to do, and then I’ld roll my eyes and think, "Dang, what's wrong with her?" Except now it's me, and I don't know when that happened and I swear I just need a vacation. . . I know I shouldn’t stress, this is part of a natural evolution. The good news—I’m not losing my mind, I know I’m not (that does sound convincing, right). I’m afraid that forgetfulness, along with the sudden appearance of wrinkles and the disappearance of my waistline, indicates that I am in the process of morphing into my mother. I never thought this would happen to me! When I was thirty my mother told to me to be patient “your day is coming” is what I remember her saying. When I was not quite forty, I remember saying defiantly "that will never happen to me!" Now, barely past forty (well, that’s what my birth certificate states), I am finding myself saying, “well it happens occasionally, but that doesn’t mean anything”. I’m dreading the hour when I will wake up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath because I’ve suddenly realized.... Aaaargh! I've Become My Mother!!! I will try to stay calm and not tear my hair out---it's thinning anyway (of course, now there's Rogaine). I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world (it happened to my own mother and her mother and her mother and...), just the beginning of a new era! Oh dear, maybe I should have another cup of tea and call my mother...Hey!!! That’s what I got up for in the first place! I LOVE YOU MOM!

1 comment:

  1. Lol. I hope my morphing process will include me becoming a little more easy going and playful as you are. Things to look forward to I guess!

    ReplyDelete